Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Corn on the Cob Over Open Flames

I made a fun and tasty discovery on our recent camping trip; something possibly familiar to ardent state fair attendees.

We were cooking a meal over the fire: brats, can of baked beans. I had some corn on the cob I wanted to cook as well. I decided to just lay the corn (still in the husk) directly on the grill which was being actively licked by flames that were 2-3 inches above the grate in spots.

I've grilled corn before and had it turn out very well, but this heat source was less even—I think hotter. The immediate singeing of the husks was a little scary. I'd rotate them every few minutes (not too diligently as my kids were tearing around the campsite and they needed as much tending as the corn). After maybe 8-10 minutes I pulled a piece off to try.

I couldn't believe how tasty it was! It was perfectly cooked from top to bottom. I'm still not sure how that happened since the heat was so uneven. Maybe the husk provides some insulation that helps steam the corn all around.

This is how I'll make corn when camping from now on. I think it would be hard to mess up based on how blackened and untended mine was.

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow eater of this corn, I can second the comment that the flavor was great. Some kernels browned slightly but nothing was dried out. Now, leave it on the fire for 45 mins...

    ReplyDelete