Friday, June 11, 2010

Fast and Slow

Coming out from Subway last night, I heard a car race by on the street. I thought, "Wow, that's pretty fast for an area w/so much pedestrian traffic." Then I thought, "I sound like a parent." As a child, you think racing a car down a residential street is daring, cool, or at least curious. As an adult PARENT (I do think that's an important factor), risk is foremost in your mind.

So. This is how aging happens.

Which brings me to a lot of thinking the past 24 hrs about things fast--and slow--when it comes to parenting and kids and cooking in particular.

Youth:fast food; parent:slow cookers
Youth:dinner preferably consumed in less than 10 min; parent:dinner preferably consumed over an hour
Youth: the faster to make, the more likely to be liked; parent:hours in the kitchen promises a special meal
Youth:no time to put my dishes away, it's playtime!; parent:it's always time to put something away
Youth:things that have fast-moving parts mean fun food prep (i.e. blenders, beaters, whisks); parent:things that have fast-moving parts mean my kids want to help make it which means it's going to take at least 2x as long to actually make

I'm sure you can think of many more, but for my part, I've got to go put something away.

No comments:

Post a Comment