Sunday, September 13, 2009

Week 21 – Food-tainment



















Mon
Spaghetti and meatballs w/crusty bread
---
We're home one meal this week, so the bulk of my menu-planning focused around foods that would be entertaining and at least moderately nourishing to my kids on an airplane. I'm flying alone with them, leaving at 5:20 at night, arriving about 4 hours later. I can't imagine a much worse time to travel alone with 2 young kids, so I did what any mom in a similar position would do. I went to Target.

You can see the results of my trip in the picture. The apples, matchbox car and monkey stickers do not appear, but are key ingredients as well.

I picked foods that were different than what they'd usually get (e.g. instead of Archer Farms fruit strips, I grabbed some slightly overpriced Cliff fruit twists that look fun). I'm going to break this stuff up into little packets so there's not quite the sugar-overload that appears here. I'm packing a mini veggie-dipper mix as well to make sure something that actually grew in soil reaches their palettes.

I spent way too much time staring at ingredients lists on those nifty single-serve drink mix flavors. I don't care for the taste of aspartame or sucralose, so ended up with Koolaid. I'll fill a couple travel mugs with water once we're past security and shake in a bit for a tasty surprise.

For those of you doing so this week, happy cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment