Friday, March 16, 2012

Fish Friday Recipes

I've had a couple of successful new recipes this Lent. Tonight was beer-battered fish tacos with an excellent (and easy) white sauce.

A couple weeks ago I went out on a limb and made a tuna noodle casserole. Probably the first tuna casserole of my life, and it went over much better than I expected. What I mean by that is my husband and I ate it, as well as the left-overs. My kids ate the noodles, or none of it, but it's a casserole/hot-dish, which means various foods are touching one another, so that rules out 1 child for sure, and possibly more if they aren't at starvation levels. Which they apparently weren't.

The funny thing about my search for the tuna noodle casserole was reading descriptions of what people described as "like mom used to make" or "with ingredients you have on hand." The recipe that suggested I would likely have all the ingredients on hand had precisely ONE ingredient that I had on hand. The tuna. Other ingredients included a couple different "cream of --" soups, American cheese, and oyster crackers. Strikes 1, 2, and 3.

The recipe that made the cut was, shockingly, from epicurious. How often do you have a) the time and b) the ingredients to make a spur-of-the-moment epicurious recipe? Not exactly my normal week-night go-to at this stage of life. Anyway, the directions fit on one iPad screen and had ingredients that I happened to have on hand. Vitally, the reviews sounded promising. FYI, I substituted wine for the sherry and skipped the mushrooms, subbing in some red pepper. I'm extremely proud of myself for these variations on the published recipe since only about 5 years ago I would have been completely incapable of this type of Bold Move.

So if you're feeling tuna-casserole-ish, give it a whirl here: Tuna Noodle Casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment