Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Service Project Snacks

I'm always interested in finding service opportunities my kids can understand and enjoy. Our church is building a Habitat for Humanity House next week, so I asked if we could help with food prep for the crew. They suggested we make snacks for the builders a couple of days--whatever we want to bring.

The project is next week, Thursday and Friday. We'll probably prepare the snacks on Wednesday, since they need to be delivered to the site Thursday and Friday by 8:30AM. The kids are interested in this topic and have asked questions like, "Why do the people need a home?" and "Who built our house?" It opens up some great conversations. They're excited and curious about the idea of making snacks for builders and I think it will help them to see the site when we deliver them.

If anyone would like to join our "team" making snacks for 15-20 builders next Wednesday, let me know! I haven't decided what to make yet, so ideas are welcome. Maybe snack mix. Maybe the kids can wash and cut grapes into quick-grab portions. Anything goes, as long as it's manageable for kids in some capacity.

1 comment: