A few weeks ago and several posts back, I showed a picture of what cheesecake looked like after 4 hours in the oven. I fell asleep and didn't wake in time to turn the oven off when making my husband's birthday cake. Well, here we were 3 weeks later and my husband tried his hand at the cake. He was pulling it out of the oven when our 21-month-old came in from behind him and laid his hand on the hot oven rack.
Screaming child. White charred skin from fingertip to palm. Cold water. Call to the doc for advice. The next 2 hours in the ER. Poor guy ended up with his hand wrapped like a mitten to protect it. Fortunately the burn was 2nd degree (not 3rd as initially suspected), and he will be fine within just a couple days. Kids finished up the evening laughing and playing with improvised glove-balloons in the treatment room, so obviously he was recovering quickly.
As for the menu that night? The accident happened just before we were going to eat, so they were stuck with what was available in the diaper bag as we waited to be seen. They annihilated a bag of Goldfish and a handful of raisins. It was probably the most they'd eaten for dinner in weeks.
Just a reminder from my little one to all of you using your ovens tonight: "Oven HOT! Stay back."