Friday, September 4, 2009

Menu Planning Circa 2019

I've been talking with siblings and friends who have teenagers, and am trying to picture how my own family's evening meals will look 10 years from now. For now, I can hardly comprehend what they're talking about. Some examples:

"My son isn't usually home until around 7:30. By the time he's done with school, then football practice, it's late. He has money to get a pre-practice snack or something if he needs it."

or

"My husband and I aren't usually home until 7 or 7:30 from our jobs. The kids usually take care of heating up their own meals."

What??? In this time of teaching them to not put their food in the milk, sit at the table when we eat, and obsessively figuring out if they've gotten their servings of veggies for the day, these kinds of comments are almost incomprehensible. I suspect that all too soon the evening meal will be marked by how many boxes of frozen pizza or cans of spaghettios we find in the trash, consumed at some unknown hour when we were lost in a book, pruning in the tub.

Shh. I think I hear someone raiding the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment